lundi 6 septembre 2010

No-one-rob-me in Nairobi

I arrived in Nairobi early on Friday morning and went straight to the hostel to sleep and eat. When I caught up on some sleep I went for a walk around Nairobi to get a first impression of the place. At first, I was amazed everything - the enthusiasm of a new-born tourist should not be underestimated. However, it quickly wore off. Nairobi is an ok city on average, the xeno-excitement is worn down by the lack of anything to do or see.

I find there are a few proud young Kenyans walking around. Wearing a suit, polished teeth, standing upright with a folder and papers neatly tucked under an arm. I like to think that these are those that consider themselves self-made corruption free Kenyans asking for constitutional change.

However, there is also an excessive charity culture which I think might stifle development, like a baby never weened off of breast feeding. For example, I was on my way to the National Museum to see Lucy and other bipedal hominids dug in Kenya, when a man, well dressed, just above middle age, starts talking to me about the weather. When I realised I was British, he inundated me with questions that seem to have been stored up with no outlet: "Andruh, thill mee, whaat eez the deeforhence between ah UK and GB?"...well... "Yu have House Commons AND House Parlhiament, why two govornmints?"...so!..."Why YU cohme here and colohnize me?" ...dangerous question, veer away from that one. He invited me for tea, I entertained him as he seemed genuinely interested. He told me about Somalia and how he's met a professor who has guaranteed him a place at Edinburgh university to do a Masters in veterinarian sciences (oh wow impressive). He need to get to Malawi (hmm ok). And he needs money (ah shit). As soon as I said I couldn't he got very grumpy. His body language changed, not looking at me in the eye and asking for the cheque asap.

Having met a Mexican dude in the hostel who also wanted to go to Nakuru on Sunday, we left together. In the Matato (overfilled small Toyota vans that pump along the one lane highway, weaving in an out of oncoming traffic while you hold on for dear life), I told this story....and he told the exact same thing had happened to him...except instead of Edinburgh it was an American university in California well known for veterinarian sciences. This guy had done his homework. Regardless, it would seem that I had been taken for a ride...and never left my seat.

The most demoralising part of it for a tourist is the upfront kindness which seems so genuine. As soon as they realise that they're geting nothing, they're not interested in you.

1 commentaire:

  1. Andrew, Help the Veterinary dude!!! he wants to go to Scotland, Aurstalia, California, he just want to travel the world just like you...Or maybe he just wants someone to pay for his Tea.

    Stay safe brother...

    Amit

    RépondreSupprimer